Sunday, April 18, 2010

Promises


Deuteronomy 8:5-10 "5 Think about it: Just as a parent disciplines a child, the Lord your God disciplines you for your own good. 6 “So obey the commands of the Lord your God by walking in his ways and fearing him. 7 For the Lord your God is bringing you into a good land of flowing streams and pools of water, with fountains and springs that gush out in the valleys and hills. 8 It is a land of wheat and barley; of grapevines, fig trees, and pomegranates; of olive oil and honey. 9 It is a land where food is plentiful and nothing is lacking. It is a land where iron is as common as stone, and copper is abundant in the hills. 10 When you have eaten your fill, be sure to praise the Lord your God for the good land he has given you."

 What wonderful day I had yesterday. Spent alot of time with my family and enjoyed it sooo much. We talked the whole day. It's amazing how much people can talk. No TV, no other distractions. Just good food and talk. It was wonderful. Our conversation ranged from life, death, singleness....It was good. 

Anyway, My cousin read the above scripture to me because our conversation happened upon the promises of God. His promises are in the bible and we are to believe and trust that what He promises will come to pass. In His time. I mentioned to her that I had either read or heard somewhere that His promises are not necessarily fulfilled while we are here on earth. I mentioned there are some in the bible who died without ever seeing their promise. Now I do not know the bible inside and out, and I only say things based on what I have read. Which is why I thoroughly enjoy having spiritual conversations with those who have been in the bible longer. No matter what, I will still read for myself. Never just accept the words out of someone's mouth just because they say it's in the bible. See for yourself...always! ( That's what I have learned)

Anyway, she then proceeded to open her bible and read the above scripture to me. God promises so much to us and what He asks in return is that we believe and follow Him.  He wants us to be happy, He wants the best for us (which is sometimes in direct opposite of what we want) Just like our parents. I tell my children so much the reason I do things is because I love them and want the best for them. Not always do they understand or are happy with the decision, but in the long run, it is for their good. I have to keep remembering this of my Heavenly Father as well. So when I get a little down because something was not given or something is being delayed, I have to remember, God wants to give me the desires of my heart, but I need to keep my faith in Him and obey His ways. 

Roman 8:28 "And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose."

God Bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment