Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Fear

Oh my goodness! What an experience for myself and my boys to go through tonight. My son was looking for his computer cord. While upstairs I hear him calling in a loud, scared voice...'mom.....mom...' I run downstairs. He is standing there totally scared and wiping his hands all over his arms. "There was a spider, I think....it was huge....it got on the couch....mommy get it please!!!!!!!!!!!"

Now I have to say, one of my greatest fears are spiders. Oh my goodness.....it is not funny at all. I have left my children in the car because of a spider in the front with me. Yeah, I know that's not right but spiders are my biggest fear. While I understand my son's fear, he took his eyes off the spider and we did not know where it was! That's the worst! Spider in the house, whereabouts unknown......Uggghhhh!  The one good thing about my fear of spiders, is I can spot them even out the corner of my eye. At the top of the ceiling, this huge spider is crawling around. Oh so gross!!! I am keeping my eye on it and ask my son to come 'identify' it. My son flipped out! He refused profusely to even come in the room. He looked like he was having a meltdown right in front of my eyes. Yes, I was upset. He needed to let us know if this was indeed the same exact spider he had seen. But he wouldn't come in the room and actually ran upstairs! So I had to get rid of it by myself. I had no choice. I was not about to let it roam around the house....

Well, after the episode, it got me thinking about fear. Fear has the ability to incapacitate us so badly. It can keep us stuck in a place where we were never meant to be in the first place. It can also make us run away from things or people that need to be faced. So many different fears. Fear of what people think, fear of what people will say, fear of rejection, fear of the unknown, fear of the known.....Why do we fear so many things? When we fear, we give control to whatever our fear is. How do we combat our fear? By trusting in the Lord. Guess what He promised?

Isaiah 41:10 "Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness."

Whatever we face in life, it's good to know we have a loving God who will always be by our side. To help us overcome our fear. When I have fear that comes over me about something, my favorite verse to recite is Psalms 27:1 "The LORD is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? the LORD is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?" 

I need to work on saying that when I see spiders, because the panic sets in so quickly! I pray that the spider I got rid of was the one my son saw. If not, there will be some sleepless nights ahead!!! LOL

God Bless!

1 comment:

  1. I hope you enjoy my blog as much as I have yours. Great insights and pictures! I am now a follower.
    God Bless, Bob West
    http://westbob.blogspot.com/2010/05/god-vs-science.html

    ReplyDelete